I talked with a very special Lowell resident who visited this website and he asked me;
"Alan, Why are you so angry?
Why is there so much venom in the words you write?"
He said you are normally soft and gentle and (he really said it) intelligent.
I have been giving this some thought and I consider myself to be low-key and soft-spoken but I wonder;
- Should I be angry about the PCA portion of my LL&P bill going up 500% over the past 4 years?
- Should I be angry about the sewer portion of my water bill going from less than $20 a month to $54?
- Should I be angry that the first thing the City Manager ever sent to my neighbors and I in the mail was an invoice for $25,000 to run city water down my street even though we never asked for it?
- Should I be angry that the second thing the City Manager ever sent to my neighbors and I in the mail was an invoice for $37,000 to run city water down my street even though we never asked for it?
- Should I be angry that the third thing the City Manager ever sent to my neighbors and I in the mail was an invoice for $40,000 to run city water down my street even though we never asked for it?
- Should you be angry that since he did it to my neighbors and I, he could send you one of these things too?
- Should I be angry that the City Manager explained that it wasn't him sending these letters "as they were put together by his employees" and yet he did sign them?
- Should I be angry and worried knowing that a good leader takes responsibility, they accept responsibility and do not dump it onto the people who report to them?
- Should I be angry about the City Manager who spends more time looking for loopholes in the City Charter and Michigan Laws than he does actually doing work for the Citizens of Lowell?
- Should I be angry about the City Manager who is revisiting the process of allowing "Provisional Liquer" (cheaper and easier to get) Licenses while long-time businesses had to go through the much longer process and pay 8 times more for theirs?
- Should I be angry about the City Manager hoarding the local charitable funds away from local charities and the Library to fix the Lowell Mayors sidewalk?
- Should I be angry about the City Manager taking the City Hall mortgage (that was halfway to being paid off) and refinancing it out with a new 30 year mortgage so he could lower the actual payment and make his shell-game budget look better so he could get his $18,000 a year raise?
- Should I be angry about the City Owned LL&P that now leases a biodigester that is running at half capacity, spewing caustic gasses and rotting the building it sits in?
- Should I be angry about the idea that the LL&P company might actually buy this caustic mess of a digester in 4 years?
- Should I be angry about this same LL&P management and board taking a wasteful trip to Germany on "City LL&P funds" to visit a biodigester when we had one right here in West Michigan?
- Should I be angry about the this same LL&P leadership - who said that Lowell would never have to pay a dime into the biodigester until and unless we buy the thing and then being so bold as to ask for (and receive permission from the three stooges on the council) to get a loan on a non-running old truck to haul into the city what they were trying to sell us?
- Should I be angry about the mere thought of some members of the current City Council that have been talking of selling the Boy Scout camp to build condos and dismantling the showboat or renaming it in the name of political correctness and forgetting that we need to remember history and learn from it even if it offends some people?
- Should I be angry about the the City Manager using over $150,000 of City taxpayer funds to hire an attorney from the Detroit area to fix the very problem he created?
- Should I be angry that these same City Leaders hired the current LL&P Manager after he was fired from Traverse City Power for theft?
- Should I be angry that a top LL&P Power employee (who makes well over $100,000 a year) was allowed to drive a LL&P truck back and forth from home to work fully against LL&P Rules?
- Should I be angry that this guy making these wages should have been able to afford his own truck for travel in foul weather?
- Should I be angry that the reason this guy makes high wages is an effort to keep his mouth shut to not expose the real wrongdoings of the LL&P manager?
- Should I be angry about the LL&P manager using over $200,000 of citizen funded LL&P Capital to rebuild two old diesel generators only to then realized they would never pass EPA inspection?
- Should I be angry about the LL&P manager not simply purchasing an EPA approved exhaust system that would have allowed us to use these engines like the City of Portland does since they purchased their parts from LL&P?
- Should I be angry about the LL&P Manager who purchased two old gas generators (only one of which is capable of running if Consumers Energy can even get enough gas to them in their too small gas lines) and the other is still in un-assembled pieces on the floor.
- Should I be angry about the fact that the council has allowed the city manager to shuffle capital away from the street maintenance fund to make other parts of the budget look good while destroying the streets?
- Should I be angry that after the City Manager funneled money away from the equipment funds the council then had to allow the financing of a backhoe because this manager took the money out of a budget that could have paid cash for it?
One person stood up in the special Council meeting this week and expressed concern over his perceived fact that "Voice" is pressing hard to get people fired.
First of all, as far as I know there no longer is an official "Voice of Lowell" organization.
I have never been a part of it although I have written about it in an effort to show people the concerns of the Voice group and as far as I know their website is no longer viable.
I can go on and on but think about this.....
Was Jesus angry with the money-changers that he threw out of the church?
Were they angry at the Boston Tea Party?
Was Lincoln angry with Jefferson Davis?
Was Grant angry with Lee?
Was America and the world angry with Hitler?
Should we have played nice with these people of history or should we have stood up like our ancestors did and said: ENOUGH!
Neville Chamberlain was a dove and England slept while Hitler grew his Nazi Party and America was sleeping for the first couple of years of WW2 while Ambassador Joseph Kennedy wanted to "work with" and play nice with Hitler.
Kennedy lost his beloved son Joseph Jr. to the war he refused to fight.
Anyone thinking that you or I have no right to be angry should think it through and if what I have listed above doesn't make you at least a little ticked-off, how far down in financial oblivion do we have to go to get your attention?
Should we offer soft understanding whispers, stick our heads in the sand and expose our rears to a swift kick or should we stand up and kick a little ass ourselves and at the very least, go down with a fight?
I am open to calls on this - 616-634-3296